Sunday, January 27, 2008

wondering

Often I wonder about love, many have said love is the one thing that can not be understood, yet I feel as if we refuse to understand it, not that we can't.
I say we can, we can understand love to such a degree, as to shrug it off and leave it for the birds.
That would be my scientific side talking, yes we know it's chemicals, and it's great for health.

Yet, I say we can never understand love, because Love is an attribute of God, and people can never fully understand God, not in this life, so it seems as if we are at a loss. 1 Corinthians 13 is fantastic in telling what love is. Yet we still struggle with this idea of love.
Is love that fuzzy feeling newlyweds have?
or the love of a father or mother to their son or daughter?
is it the love of a brother?
or the love of a grandma?
is it the feeling when children delight us in being good?
or the feeling we have for the boy in grade 9?
is it the feelings we have for God?
if all these things are love, then Love must be pretty broad, and if love is pretty broad then it is probably pretty specifically a general feeling we have for people if we get to know them. I would hazard a guess that if people would know each other more then there would be more love.
I wonder if love is not only for God, and then there is a special trickle down effect, of loving Gods creation, and people love other people the most because we are all the crown of Gods creations and the only beings on this planet made in His image.

Still what really is love?
Honestly can anyone know?

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

In a lot of ways, the words in that song do relate to thoughts and feelings I have. I guess thats why I like it so much.
Honesty, I wonder a lot of those things too...
if they would be interested in seeing things through my eyes, above all that flying and freedom offers.

We all take our turns at flying. The question is more will they continue to return, and in turn hold the line.
* * * * * * * *
The mood I'm in says: "why would we ever have to understand what love is?".
But it's hypicritical. I've struggled with trying to explane it too. Part of me reasons that we can never fully understand anything in God's creation because we're part of it.

Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' (Matthew 22:37-39)

He didnt have to place the love of God and the love of eachother so close together, didnt have to place them in that order. But He did. It couldnt have been without reason.

What people call love can be fleeting, conditional, self-motivated, or not really "love" at all...part of being fallen is to be a sive. Jesus' life was a perfect example of it, so who better to be a perfect teacher for it?

This is long enough to be a post itself!
Sorry for the longwindedness of my mind :)
Thought prevoking posts, all of them.